Friday, July 30, 2010

Qur’anic student who killed teenage wife to die by hanging

“I wanted to have sex with her, but she refused. I begged her several times but she will not yield to my request. I then left her inside the room, went out and searched for a knife, which I got in the kitchen. I took possession of the knife and went back to the room with annoyance and stabbed her several times at different places.” That was how 28-year-old Qur’anic student, Abubakar Goni described the events that led to the death of her 14-year old-wife on October 22, 2003.
Seven years later in June 2010, the case was finally settled at the Maiduguri High Court where Abubakar was sentenced to be hanged.
The plain fact is that the innocent bride, Amsa Usman Abdu, at 14 was not ripe for marital life (contrary to the position of new sexuality advocates). Who is the victim here? Both Abubakar and her late young bride Amsa, we think. The sad reality is that hundreds of thousands are today, at the same crossroad as these two young people. These people are stranded and frustrated just because of various distortions introduced into marriage - a concept lovingly given by God – through various religious and human traditions. If only they would embrace the liberty and freedom that is available in Christ Jesus!

“Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?” 1 John 5:5

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” – Jesus (in Matthew 11:28)

No comments: